Skip to main content

Scoffing at My Scuff Marks: Attempting Repair on a CAA Medal

 

      Step 1: I examined the medal to see where I should target my repair efforts.
  Step 2: I attempted to scrub the medal with some "Method" hand soap and my damp cloth.
   Step 3: I realized that the removal of the marks on my medal would not happen this evening.
      Step 4: I placed the medal back into the case I previously withdrew it from.

Unfortunately, I could not for the life of me track down a care/maintenance guide dating from the early 20th century to clean medallions. I was quite surprised by this because I found plenty of Great War forums and blog posts which dealt with cleaning a war medal, but I could not find a pamphlet from a specific publisher or company that produced a guide to the cleaning of medallions. On an interesting note: my search did lead me to coinage cleaning and then to the term numismatics: the study or collection of coins, tokens, and paper money and sometimes related objects (such as medals).[1] In my twenty-four years of life, I can honestly say that I have never heard of this term before, so hooray for learning!

I will corral myself so that I can stay on topic. Though I could not find a relevant maintenance guide from the early 20th century, I did find two websites with helpful information about cleaning war medals. The first website was of the Dalton and Company Professional Cleaning Supply based in Muncie, Indiana whose site not only provided instructions on cleaning medallions but listed out the names of certain war medals and why each medal would be given to a recipient. This site suggested that you should use a chemical called “silver cleaner”, which I could not get my hands on, so I opted to use something else.[2] I would like to credit the site’s suggestion to remove the ribbon from the medal before applying any chemical to it so that someone would not accidently tarnish this portion of the medal.

The second website that I thought was useful was a site of the Australian Government’s Department of Defence (I thought that I was spelling defense wrong, but it turns out that this is how it is spelled on the site)! Anyway, The Australian Government website was helpful for me to clean my medal because it suggested using a “non-acidic cleaner” and a damp cloth.[3] I could get my hands on a non-acidic cleaner and a cloth, so I decided to use a very sparse amount of hand soap and a blue cloth to attempt to remove the two scoffs on my medal. This website was also helpful in that it warned anyone who took on the task that they should be wary of chemicals which may irritate one’s skin. This information may seem like common knowledge, but I do appreciate the warning available to anyone who may need it.

 If I were to remove the ribbon attached to my medal, I would have to tear the ribbon’s thread apart. Since I really value this medal, I chose to skip this part of maintenance and to place the ribbon away from the medal’s base. I dampened my cloth and applied some soap to it and started to lightly scrub at the scuff marks on my medal. After five minutes of scrubbing, I realized that the marks on the medal could not be removed with the soap I had on hand. Though I wanted to finish off this process by placing my medal in a glass case, I again was lacking the material to take care of my medal as many curators see fit. After letting the medal dry, the best that I could do was to place it back within the box in which the medal was bestowed to me.

I am aware that with objects like medallions, museums take great measures to ensure that they are properly housed in areas which prevent oxidation or erosion and in dry temperatures that will not damage the material of the medal. I appreciated the fact that both the Australian Government website as well as the Dalton and Co. website recommended dry areas and to avoid damp storage areas for medallions. From personal experience, I am also aware that museum professionals would prefer casings that provide UV protection as well as prevention against damp environments.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortitude, Community, and Vision: the Black Museum Movement from the 1960s to the Present

  [1] In her book From Storefront to Monument: Tracing the Public History of the Black Museum Movement , Andrea A. Burns documents the endeavors of African Americans to establish Black-owned museums in stride and motivated by certain sentiments of the Black Power movement of the 1960s. Focusing primarily on four of the first African American museums in America named The DuSable Museum of African American History, The International Afro-American Museum (IAM), The Anacostia Neighborhood Museum (ANM), and the African American Museum of Philadelphia (AAMP), Burns illustrates how these museums were created and run by African Americans. Some of the historical figures in Burns’ narrative include Margaret (Black artist) and Charles Burroughs, Dr. Charles Wright, and museum director John Kinard who out of grassroot movements and extreme effort formed and oversaw operations they saw fit for reconstructing the representations and presentations of African American history. Burns allows her reade

From Distant Comfort to Submersion: The Morphing of Historical Consciousness and Historical Authenticity in America

     [1] [2] M.J. Rymsza-Pawlowska’s book History Comes Alive: Public History and Popular Culture in the 1970s is a refreshing and perceptive examination of the changing manners in which history was taught, depicted, reenacted, and reflected upon in America from the 1950s to the 1970s. Rymsza-Pawlowska shows these shifts by presenting to her readers America’s earlier traditions to deliver history in a more distance and purely informational manner and America’s change in method which would incite emotions and provide more interactive ways to partake in historical settings [3] . What I found particularly striking and informative in her book was her inclusion of American television series which showed early reluctance to interact deeply with the past and the move of American television productions to present a more involved and sincere narrative of American history in later decades. For instance, she provides the ways in which early American shows such as The Twilight Zone would often

Introduction

  My name is Jeanette Dianne Bendolph and I am an alumna of the University of Delaware. During my undergraduate career, I earned a Bachelor of Arts in History and minors in Museum Studies and Africana Studies. My public history background includes my experience creating a children’s program, curation and creation of an exhibition, and participation in a collegiate history symposium. For my children’s program, I was required to document past Delawarean laws (18 th century to the 20 th century) concerning school desegregation, immigration, and eminent domain in order for kids to compare how citizens reacted towards these laws in the past vs. today. My summer research entailed the political and social climate of Victorian Britain for its Black citizens. The exhibition I created which was placed in the New Castle Historical Society of New Castle, Delaware in 2019 documented the activities which stimulated early childhood development in young New Castle Citizens of the 19 th and 20 th c